1.1 Site Definitions
CSU's web space includes hundreds of sites with varying levels of University involvement and commitment as outlined below.
1.1.1 Official University Websites
1.1.2 Unofficial Websites
Within the CSU domain, signified by the address "columbusstate.edu" or the range of Internet protocol addresses assigned to CSU, you may find websites over which the University has no editorial responsibility or control. Such sites are considered unofficial and include, but are not limited to, the web pages of individual faculty members or students, the web pages of student organizations and other entities not formally a part of the University, online classified ads, and course material available online.
1.1.3 Third Party Websites
1.1.4 Policy Applicability
When you access official CSU web pages, certain essential and nonessential technical information (collectively referred to as access information) is automatically collected. No other information is collected through our official websites except when you deliberately send it to us (for example, by clicking a link to send us an e-mail). Examples of the information you might choose to send us are listed below as "optional information." (see section 3.1.2) This policy describes the information we gather, the uses to which it is put, and how the information may be shared with other parties.
3.1 Information CSU Gathers
3.1.1 Access Information (automatically collected)
The following types of information are automatically collected whenever you access a page on the CSU website.
- Client information: user's domain name and Internet address.
- Essential technical information: identification of the page or service you are requesting, type of browser and operating system you are using; and the date and time of access.
- Nonessential technical information: non-personally identifiable aggregated tracking information derived mainly by tallying page views throughout our sites.
3.1.2 Optional information (deliberately sent)
CSU also collects information that is submitted by website users. This includes:
- E-mail: your name, e-mail address, and the content of your e-mail.
- Online forms: all the data you choose to fill in or confirm. This may include credit or debit card information if you are ordering a product or making a payment, as well as information about other people if you are providing it for delivery purposes, etc.
- Surveys: We may occasionally conduct user surveys to better target web content to our audience. We never share any personally identifiable survey information with any third party.
- Searches: We sometimes track and catalog the search terms that visitors enter in our search function, but this tracking is never associated with individual visitors. We use this information to improve our website.
Important things to know about our tracking cookies:
- No personal information is collected through these cookies.
- All tracking data collected through these cookies is viewable in aggregate form only and does not disclose any personal information.
- A cookie can't read data off your hard disk or read cookie files created by other sites.
- You may opt out of these tracking cookies by turning cookies off in your browser. You do not need to have cookies turned on to use most areas of this Site.
- You may also visit the Google Privacy Center to download a browser add-on that will block the Google Analytics tracking cookies CSU uses to track site usage. This will allow you to block our tacking cookies while allowing you to use areas of the site that require cookies.
- You may view the content of cookies on your PC using any text editor (Notepad, Word, etc.)
- You may delete tracking cookies at any time
3.2 Use of Information
We use tracking information to determine which areas of our sites visitors like and don't like based on traffic to those areas. We do not track what individual visitors read, but rather how well each page performs overall. This helps us continue to build a better service for you. We track search terms entered in the search function, but we don't track which terms a particular user enters. Optional information submitted through forms will be used to provide assistance and services to website users. E-mail addresses may be used to contact individuals concerning questions or for the delivery of newsletters and other informative publications. Users may always opt-out of receiving newsletters using the "unsubscribe" links provided at the bottom of all such e-mails.
3.3 Sharing of Information
Columbus State University does not divulge any information about an individual website user to a third party except to comply with applicable law or valid legal process or to protect the personal safety of our visitors or the public. Users should be aware that some information collected from CSU websites may be subject to the Georgia Open Records Act (O.C.G.A § 50-18-70 through 50-18-76, available through the Official Code of Georgia Annotated website).This means that while we do not actively share information, in some cases we may be compelled by law to release information gathered from one of our sites. CSU also complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which prohibits the release of education records without student permission. For more details on FERPA please see the current student handbook. Certain optional information submitted by website users may be considered health information. CSU complies with HIPAA regulations.
4.0 Procedures and Responsibilities
CSU operates secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems. Our security and privacy policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary and only authorized individuals have access to the information provided by our customers.
4.2 Opt-Out Policy
We give visitors opt-out options wherever necessary and practical. Such choices include:
- Opting not to submit information through online forms.
- Turning off cookies.
- Installing the Google Analytics Opt-out browser add-on.
4.3 Changes to the policy
This policy may be changed from time to time and without further notice. Your continued use of the site after any such changes constitutes your acceptance of the new terms. If you do not agree to abide by these new terms or any future terms, please do not use the site.