Frequently Asked Questions
Below you can find many of our commonly asked questions in regards to Columbus State University's web presence. Please reference this list of questions first before submitting an eQuest to the web team as many of the common issues/questions can be answered by this page.
- How do I submit an eQuest directly to the web team?
- Why do I receive an error when trying to upload documents or images to my site?
- How do I log in to the content management system?
- I want to make changes to our departmental website. What do I need to do?
- How do I update a faculty/staff directory listing (phone numbers, office locations, etc.)?
- How do I add/update/remove a link from the left navigation on our website?
- I need to add an iframe/YouTube video/etc. to our website, but I don't have access. What do I need to do?
1. How do I submit an eQuest directly to the web team?
To submit an eQuest to the web team, first make sure that you are in the UITS workspace. On the new request page under the "Request Information" tab, make sure to select Web under the "I Need Service" drop down menu. Please be sure to include the URL to the page for which the request is referencing.
Please make sure that Web is selected. If it is not, the request will not be transferred to the web team and may sit in the request queue until the department it was submitted to re-assigns the request to the web team.
Any request must be submitted at least 5-7 business days in advance to ensure that the request can be completed on time.
2. Why do I receive an error when trying to upload documents or images to my site?
If you try to upload any documents or images to any folder other than the docs or images folders, or if the file has an invalid filename, you may receive the following message:
In order to properly upload documents and images to your website, you must make sure of the following:
- You must upload all document files (Word docs, PDFs, Excel spreadsheets, etc.) to the docs folder located in the top level folder of your site (you can get there by clicking on the home icon of your site)?
- You must upload all images (jpg, png, gif, etc.) to the images folder located in the top level folder of your site (you can get there by clicking on the home icon of your site)?
- Filenames cannot contain spaces in them.
- Videos (flv, wmv, mp4, etc.) may not be uploaded to the website directly. If you wish to upload a video, you must first upload it to YouTube so that it may be embedded on your website. If you need assistance with this, please submit an eQuest to the web team.
- Filenames, including file extensions, may only contain lowercase letters and numbers and cannot contain spaces. Please use either dashes or underscores in place of spaces. You can either rename files on your computer before uploading them, or you may use the rename function on the Upload window to rename the file upon upload.
** Any document, video, or image containing copyrighted material may not be uploaded to the CSU web presence unless the proper permissions have been obtained. Violation of this policy will result in the offending material being removed from the CSU web presence. **
3. How do I log in to the content management system?
In order to log in to the content management system (or CMS as it is commonly referred to), simply click on the Last Rev date link located in the footer of your website. This will take you to the content management system login screen.
Your login information (if you have a CMS account) is the same as your CougarNet/Novell login:
- Username: lastname_firstname
- Password: Your CougarNet/Novell password
You must have an active content management system account to log in successfully. If you do not have an account, please register for one of our CMS training classes that will train you on how to use the CMS to make changes to your website.
4. I want to make changes to our departmental website. What do I need to do?
To make changes to your departmental website, simply log in to the content management system. When you click on the "Last Rev" link at the bottom of the page, the content management system will log you in with that page selected as the page to edit. All you need to do to edit the page is to click on the Edit Content button for the section you wish to edit. If you are unable to login, please see question #3.
To make changes to other pages while signed in to the content management system, click on the "Content" link in the upper-left tool bar to see a listing of all pages within the content management system for the particular site that you are logged into. To edit any other pages, click on the name of the page, and click the "Edit Content" button when it appears on the page.
Please note that all normal text and image changes may be made by users through use of the content management system's WYSIWYG editor (the toolbars that appear when you click the Edit Content link). Please refrain from submitting a request to the web team for these types of changes unless you are unable to make the change yourself.
5. How do I update a faculty/staff directory listing (phone numbers, office locations, etc.)?
All faculty/staff listings across our websites pull information directly from our Human Resources directory to ensure that all faculty/staff information is kept up-to-date and consistent across our web presence. This information may not be edited directly in the content management system as it relies on behind-the-scenes coding to pull in the information.
In order to make a specific update, please see the lists below to ensure your change is made in a timely manner.
To make the following changes, please submit a request to the web team:
- Phone Numbers
- Profile Pictures (You must supply an image to use. The web team does not have access to any faculty/staff photos taken during employee orientations)
- Biography Website Links
- Personal Website Links
To do the following, you must submit a Personnel Action Request form (under Manager Forms) to Human Resources:
- First or Last Names Changes
- Position Titles Changes
- Adding or Removing Faculty From Listing *
* Adding/removing faculty will occur automatically when Human Resources processes the personnel action request form for the faculty/staff member. It may take up to a few business days for Human Resources to process this request, so please be patient.
6. How do I add/update/remove a link from the left navigation on our website?
All edits to the left navigation must be made by the web team. Please submit a request to the web team for any left navigation updates.
If you wish to add a link to a new page within your website, please first make sure that the page has been created in the CMS. The web team will not add the link to the left navigation until the page has been created. Once the page has been created, or if the link is to another page on the CSU website or an external site, please submit a request to the web team.
7. I need to add an iframe/YouTube video/etc. to our website, but I don't have access. What do I need to do?
All embeds (iframes, YouTube videos, etc.) must be done by the web team. Please submit a submit a request to the web team to have the embed added to your webpage.
Please be aware that it is up to the web team's discretion as to whether or not the embed is allowed on the CSU web presence. You must first consult the web team for any 3rd party software that requires website integration before it is added to the website.